The iron cannon of Arriondas
Canon in the Main Square
This cannon was made on the XVIII century, it most probably defended the Cadiz and Cartagena seashores during the XVIII and XIX centuries.
It was purchased at an antique shop in 1968 by the Federación Española de Piragüismo, when Juan Antonio Samaranch was Minister of Physical Education and Sports.
The cannon was really used from 1968 to 1971 in order to set the start of the “International Descent of the River Sella”, the most popular canoeing contest in Spain that has been held yearly since 1932, during the summers.
Stone House in front of the Cannon, at the Main Square.
Despite its military purpose, today it is a peace symbol that has even doves installed over the top, it is located in front of the Main Hall and is a meeting point where locals gather during festivities, and obliged venue for tourists to take pictures.
This is where all the parties gather during festivities.